Security cameras have come a very long way(come to think of it) from regular video
surveillance tools into smart models with handy AI features. One of those handy features is the motion detector designed to quickly pick up on movements within the field of range.
Unless you have all the time to keep staring at the screen, even when there’s no security breach in play, you will probably find security cameras with motion detection very practical.
Read along to find some of the best outdoor motion-activated security cameras in the market today, we`ll also explain why they make it to the top of the list then at the end, we`ll also look at some cameras that did not make it to the top of the list.
But before we get there, we`ll first need to answer a question that might have brought you to this site in the first place. what`s an outdoor motion activated security camera or is it a must consider?
Do I Need a Security Camera with Motion Detector?
You may be wondering why the fuss about motion-activated cameras when they do just about the same job as regular security cameras. Do I really need to upgrade?
Here’s the thing. Although both these cams record video surveillance footage, the motion detectors introduce a special edge to the craft. They sit quietly outside and come out to play only when some movement is detected.
This means you get real-time notifications or a sound alarm when there’s actually a threat around your property or home.
There’s little to worry about missing an important detail which is a real probability with cams without this smart feature.
Think about it. What are the odds that a burglar creeps in when you’re just too busy paying attention to everything else but your security footage? Unless of course, you don’t mind monitoring your feed 24/7 for suspicious activity.
Advantages of Motion Activated Cameras
- Make surveillance footage viewing practical and less time-consuming.
- Are ideal for users who prefer little to no manual interference during photo capturing.
- Latest designs camouflage with the environment hence disguising the camera.
- Require little maintenance. Once installed, there’s nothing much to do except sit and wait for videos.
- Work perfectly for wildlife and sports photography.
- Could trigger false alarms from pets or delivery vehicles.
- May be expensive.
- Need to have exceptional sensitivity otherwise they are next to valueless.
- Without a wide field of view, they can only capture motion within a short-range.
- Requires a strong Wi-Fi bandwidth all year round.
- When placed outdoor, there’s a greater risk of destruction from unfavorable weather changes.
Great Outdoor Motion-activated Security Cameras
If you are looking for a security camera and don’t know where to start, here are some that you could take a closer look at. Remember not a hefty price tag makes for the best product so we ranked accordingly not forgetting the price.
Fosmon Wavelink – Best Overall
To start us off is the Fomson Wavelink 5100HOM model. It’s one of the rare few cams that provide high value for a low budget, proving that pricy tags do not always mean a good camera.
First, it is wireless hence easy to install. It takes minutes to set up and you don’t need an expensive hub to operate this security camera. Being that it is wire-free, it integrates with your smart home security system for convenience.
The camera can detect motion within 16.4 feet and the receiver works even when up to 500 feet away from the motion sensor. For a camera this cheap, that is a steal.
There are plenty of alarm tones to choose from, 58 to be precise, and up to 5 different volumes that you can adjust, at the click of a button.
When the sensor is triggered, it activates the LED lighting for a visual alert as well. This makes it a viable option for users with hearing impairment.
- LED LIGHT INDICATOR
- No wiring needed
- Quick and easy volume adjustment
- Wide sensor- receiver range
- The beep/ alarm can be inconvenient. It doesn’t stop unless plugged off the wall.
- Sensor sensitivity could trigger false alarms.
- Not waterproof
Now, these are not serious deal-breakers and the product got 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon. You can check user reviews here.
Now that sensor sensitivity can be both a good and bad thing, the kangaroo developers wittily came up with a pet rejection feature to minimize false alarms.
It zooms in on the subject and disables the siren when it happens to be a stray bird, dog, or cat.
To add on, the camera detects motion through changes in temperature making it sharper than most motion sensors available. It can capture high-resolution images up to 15 feet away.
You would need a subscription service to get the most value out of this model so there are extra costs affiliated. However, on the plus side, you unlock text, voice notifications, and integration with Alexa.
The subscription app allows you to enable or disable the siren at any given time, if you so wish, with an easy-to-follow process.
This comes in handy say when you are expecting a parade of guests at your front door.
On the downside though, it takes a few minutes during which you cannot exit the app. So, you might want to do it early if you plan on stepping out.
- Provides instant alerts through your mobile app/ smart screen.
- Reduces the chances of false security threats.
- In-app arming and disarming.
- Battery operated and may need manual handling when it’s time to charge.
- Has a 5-minute arming time when you cannot exit the app.
Now no product is perfect and the cons registered here should not be a reason not to get an otherwise affordable product.
Why have just a motion detector when you can have a spotlight too? Mr. Beams combines the best of both worlds to give you a reliable security tool for your property.
So even during dark hours, you can rest easy knowing your home is in capable hands.
This particular camera is designed for the outdoor thanks to its weatherproof casing. As such it is less prone to climatic effects and elements.
Users have the option to pivot the cam in up to 4 directions to face whatever direction is needful of more lighting. The bright floodlight is certain to illuminate the darkest of spots provided it is positioned strategically.
Apart from this, it has a special energy-saving feature that causes the spotlight to turn off 20 seconds after detecting movement. And when it comes to motion sensor range, Mr beams boasts of an impressive 30 feet range.
- Installation takes 5 minutes.
- Wide sensor range that can detect motion at a distance.
- An energy-saving feature that wards off strangers while preserving the battery.
- Gives enough light as you go from garage to front door
- Flexible for angling in multiple directions.
- The casing is waterproof but the spotlight isn’t.
- Requires 4d batteries which are not included in the package.
Again the cons are no deal breakers, but we felt the need to mention them so as to give you complete info before purchasing this product.
You may like
- Arlo Ultra – Bonus
If you have a 400-dollar budget for a security camera, then you might want to have a look at the Arlo Ultra outdoor camera. Some of its cutting-edge features include;Pros
- Colored night vision
- 2160p HD video quality
- Two-way audio
- SD card storage + free year automatic video storage
- Compatible with Alexa
- Very expensive.
- Needs a subscription plan.
- No free cloud storage after the first year.
again the cons here are no deal breakers, expensive is relative to everyone and needing a subscription plan, well there are so many advantages that you get with the subscription plan.
Not to mention that for home security and peace of mind, nothing is too expensive really.
Conclusion On Motion Security Cameras
There you have it! A list of top-of-the-line motion activated cameras in the market. The next time you’re out hunting for cameras, remember to prioritize the sensor sensitivity a well as the depth of view because these two are the backbone of any good motion activated security camera. Good luck!
You can purchase any of the above Cameras on Amazon as well as some other online stores. If you have any questions, just leave a message below.